Yeah, I need help putting together a PDF.

Yeah, I need help putting together a PDF.

Coop
Administrator
Well, apparently I'm a dunce, because I've wasted two hours trying to put together a PDF collection of my strips using ImageMagick, and I'm not getting anywhere.  So, "justsomeguy," I'll take you up on your offer to help.

I've created a cover graphic that I want to use, and also an ending graphic for the final page.  Email me, and I can send you those graphics (they're in jpeg format).  Everything else in the PDF will be the strips from the website, of course.

Sorry to put you to any trouble.

Re: Yeah, I need help putting together a PDF.

justsomeguy
No, it is no trouble at all, and I think I am the dunce, I definitely didn't make it clear that you should be well versed with the command line before using ImageMagick and instead try one of the PDF editors (besides, ImageMagick seems a bit ornery in regards to the more advanced functionality, but works fairly well). Besides, I was the one to ask for a PDF ;).

I have sent you an email, including with a link to the current PDF I have generated; you are welcome to edit it from there (using a PDF editor browser app or a desktop app to do it) or send me an email with the cover graphic and the ending graphic so that I can do it. I have also sent you the script I used to do it.

Re: Yeah, I need help putting together a PDF.

sethtriggs
Good luck! I hope this will work out; it would be great to be able to relive C&K again and again!

Administrator
The PDF is ready but it's so large I can't email it; my email server balks.  I'm going to try zipping it, but I'll have to download a zip program of some sort.  Any suggestions as to which one should work best for a large PDF?

Re: Yeah, I need help putting together a PDF.

justsomeguy
Zipping it is a good idea; I am a bit embarrassed that I didn't try it. I would believe that most zip programs ought to work well.

Regarding sharing the PDF, I would recommend using a file sharing site like https://www.expirebox.com/ which supports time-limited downloads, and then send the link to those you want to share the PDF link with (I think the default is two days; I don't recall if it is possible to set some other period of time).

Also, in hindsight, I regret a bit that I gave ImageMagick as an option; it is much more programmer-oriented than I thought, and there are most likely non-programmer friendly options for creating decent PDFs from comic images. I did previously mention some options I dug up, though mentioning ImageMagick without making it clear that only programmers should attempt it was a mistake. But I am not sad that I was able to help create the PDF, that I am happy I could help with (especially since I was the one to suggest it in the first place :- ) ).

Re: Yeah, I need help putting together a PDF.

sethtriggs
Late comment here Coop, but Dropbox will also work for this. You can also use sites like Mediafire I think to distribute it, depending on the size of the PDF.