Ten years already?

12

Ten years already?

sethtriggs
It's been a great ride throughout. Haahhaa I love Kira's line in the header, but honestly I have always dug your style. It's got a real clean quirk to it.

-Seth

Re: Ten years already?

Coop
Administrator
Yeah, it's been ten years ... well, in about two weeks, it'll be ten years.  My first strip was posted on Father's Day 2005.  And if anyone thinks the art is bad NOW, they should look back at those first 50 or so strips.  Wow.  I cringe when I look at them.  I'd like to go back and re-do those strips, but I don't have the time to spare.

I never expected C&K to run this long.  My plan was that I'd keep doing it as long as it was fun and people were reading it.  Ten years later, it's still fun and the hit counter indicates that lots of people are reading it.  So, on we go!

Re: Ten years already?

choo choo George
Wow, ten years!!! happy 10 year birthday, and I'm so glad that I discovered your comic and stayed with it. I do enjoy it very much and on to the next ten years!!!! I heard a mother in law joke: What's the difference between a Jewish mother in law and a pit bull? The pit bull eventually lets go!!!

Re: Ten years already?

Coop
Administrator
Thanks, George!  Hey, I like your joke.  Maybe I'll steal it and use it in my webcomic.

(Just kidding.  But there will certainly be some mother-in-law jokes coming up, when Toby meets Kira's mother.)

Re: Ten years already?

sethtriggs
Maybe Kira's mother is actually nice. That'd be an interesting contrast to Kira anyway.

-Seth

Re: Ten years already?

Coop
Administrator
Or maybe Kira is the "nice" one in her family.  There's a scary thought.

And maybe Ulf is the most gentlemanly member of HIS family ...

Re: Ten years already?

sethtriggs
Well anyone with worse hygiene is certainly dead, there's that advantage he has.

-Seth

Re: Ten years already?

Coop
Administrator
Hey, Seth, I really like that sketch you use as your avatar.  It's excellent.  Did you draw it yourself?
DRA

Re: Ten years already?

DRA
Congrats on 10 years!  May the story continue to be fun for the next 10!

Re: Ten years already?

Coop
Administrator
Thanks, DRA!  I really appreciate such comments from my readers.  It makes all the work of drawing the strip worthwhile.

Re: Ten years already?

sethtriggs
I'm glad you draw it!

And LOL looks like my hopes are dashed for Kira's mother. Though I'm interested to see what she looks like. REALLY interested.

-Seth

Re: Ten years already?

Coop
Administrator
Considering that I only know one way to draw a fox furry, she's probably going to look a lot like Kira.
DRA

Re: Ten years already?

DRA
Then I suspect that Seth and others may not be that disappointed!  ;-)

Re: Ten years already?

Coop
Administrator
Disappointed in my artistic skills, maybe ...

I'm going to try to make Kira's mother look different than Kira.  Not a WHOLE LOT different; they are mother and daughter, after all.  A fairly close resemblance is to be expected.  But I don't want them to look like twins.  I've got to figure something out when the time comes.  Should be an interesting challenge, if nothing else.

Re: Ten years already?

sethtriggs
I can't wait to see; I know I'm going to like it. I rather like all your character designs. They're distinctive to me!

Re: Ten years already?

Coop
Administrator
I've got some general ideas as to how Kira's mother should look, but I'll be honest, I haven't put pencil to paper yet.  So I'm not sure how she'll look.

I've got the scripts written, though; her personality is all set.  I won't say any more about that, though.  Don't want to spoil any surprises.

I had a reader send me an email asking if Kira's mother is going to be a powerful wizard like Kira.  My only answer is:  You'll see.

Re: Ten years already?

Glenn
ROFLMAO.  That reminds me of a line from an old Jerry Reed song.  It describes my ex-wife almost perfectly.  She's half Indian and half bulldog.  When she ain't on the warpath, she's sitting around a growling.

Re: Ten years already?

Coop
Administrator
Jerry Reed!  Haven't heard him mentioned in years.  I loved Jerry Reed.  Funny guy, recorded some really good songs.  My favorite is "She Got the Gold Mine, I Got the Shaft."  I've got it bookmarked on YouTube.  I've never been divorced, but I have friends whose situations fit that song perfectly.

If Toby and Kira ever get divorced, I can assure you that Toby will be singing it.

Re: Ten years already?

Glenn
If you like Jerry Reed, you should listen to his song "Take Another Puff"  Now THAT was one of my favorites of his.  I've always described his singing ability as, "He could sing a silly song and follow it with a song that could bring tears to your eyes."  There ain't too many singers, even today, who can do that.

Re: Ten years already?

Coop
Administrator
He always seemed to have a friendly, likable personality, and besides singing he played roles in several movies, most notably SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT.  He's been gone for eight years now but he'll always be remembered.

Personality is a key thing for me.  I try to give my fictional characters some sort of believable personality.  That goes both for this webcomic and for the books I've written.  I don't want my characters to seem like cardboard cutouts, so I give all of them a mix of positive and negative traits.  Toby is strong, brave and friendly; he's also naive, clumsy, and he occasionally has an explosive temper.  Kira is brilliant, powerful and beautiful; she's also vain, spiteful and greedy.  Ulf is strong, brave, loyal to his friends and a lot more intelligent than Kira would have you believe; he's also crude, has few social skills and he drinks too much.  A character who is too perfect is boring, in my opinion; likewise, a villain who is pure evil, who seems to exist solely to harm someone else, seems wooden and unrealistic.  My artwork is pretty lousy, I realize, but at least I can provide my readers with believable characters and some good one-liners, so that's what I try to do.

But none of my characters will ever be as famous as Jerry Reed.
12