Strip #851, 10/8/2017: Puppy dog eyes.

Coop
Administrator
Strip #851 was the first time I've ever drawn Kira with puppy dog eyes.  She isn't in a "pleading for forgiveness" mode very often, obviously.  More often, she's wanting someone else to plead for forgiveness.

I referenced photos of sad puppies in an attempt to get this right, but I don't think I did.  I think she looks more like she's about to pass out.  Anyway, after all these strips, that was the first time I'd ever attempted that sort of expression for her, which I thought was interesting.  After 851 strips, you'd think that I would already have given her every possible facial expression.  But no.

Re: Strip #851, 10/8/2017: Puppy dog eyes.

sethtriggs
I say that's very well done!

Also, wow Kira with a conscience in the latest update? Unpossible!

Re: Strip #851, 10/8/2017: Puppy dog eyes.

Coop
Administrator
Well, the strip has been running for 12+ years and this is the first time Kira's conscience has shown up, so she's managed to keep it down for a long time.

If Ulf's conscience confronted him, he'd probably just disembowel it and go back to sleep.

Re: Strip #851, 10/8/2017: Puppy dog eyes.

sethtriggs
I laughed out loud on the 22nd update. That was really funny, and unexpected punchline to boot.

Re: Strip #851, 10/8/2017: Puppy dog eyes.

Coop
Administrator
Thanks, Seth!  This confrontation between Kira and her long-neglected conscience should be lots of fun!

Re: Strip #851, 10/8/2017: Puppy dog eyes.

sethtriggs
LOL I'm just getting a kick out of this. Like, Kira forgets her magic abilities. Amazing ability to compartmentalize.

Re: Strip #851, 10/8/2017: Puppy dog eyes.

Coop
Administrator
I guess we all compartmentalize to some extent, but for Kira to say she never does anything to hurt anyone ... wow.  Let's see, she's blasted a wide variety of people and monsters, she's intent on ending Toby's career, she rained down thunderbolts on her old schoolmates, and don't even get me started on her relationship with Ulf.  Her talent for compartmentalizing is even better than her talent for magic.

Her conscience sure has plenty of material to work with.