Quantcast

Reverse Relationship Maintenance

sethtriggs
Kira trying to manipulate her partner? Unpossible!

Though heh it's nice to see that she doesn't want to deprive herself, mind you.

Re: Reverse Relationship Maintenance

Coop
Administrator
That's kind of her philosophy of life in a few short words, wouldn't you say?

No, seriously, that's too harsh.  Kira is actually very nice to people who are nice to her.  The main flaws in her personality are:  (1) she puts her own needs and desires above those of others, and (b) when people aren't nice to her, she doesn't simply ignore them --- she sets them on fire.

I'll concede that these are fairly significant flaws.  But I'll also add that I've seen worse.  MUCH worse.

Re: Reverse Relationship Maintenance

sethtriggs
Well at least she's not vio...oh...yeah..

Um...well...she can say nice things sometimes, right?

Re: Reverse Relationship Maintenance

Coop
Administrator
When dealing with Kira, you basically have a choice.  You can be nice to her, in which case she will be nice in return.  Or you can be like Ulf and choose NOT to be nice to her, in which case she will probably blast you with a fireball or lightning bolt.

The strange thing is that there are so many people in this strip who make the wrong choice.  And it's not really all that complicated of a choice.

I often see the same thing in real life, however.  Minus the fireballs and lightning bolts.

Re: Reverse Relationship Maintenance (10/16)

sethtriggs
I just want to point out that the 10/16 update had me rolling on the floor. Kira's dad's line is absolutely perfect and I'm going to be laughing about that for some time.

And wow Kira's hands are full.

Re: Reverse Relationship Maintenance (10/16)

Coop
Administrator
And you just cracked me up by pointing out how full Kira's hands must be.  I hadn't even thought of that, but you're definitely right.

Re: Reverse Relationship Maintenance (10/16)

sethtriggs
Kira's definitely her father's daughter - spinning moral compass and all! Heh...

Re: Reverse Relationship Maintenance (10/16)

Coop
Administrator
Toby had no idea what sort of family he was marrying into.  But it's too late now.

(10/30) Kira's dad

sethtriggs
Yeah. That's gonna end well! Good luck with that, foxie!

Re: (10/30) Kira's dad

Coop
Administrator
Surely he's just kidding.  Or else Kira's family is even MORE dysfunctional than we thought.

Re: (10/30) Kira's dad

sethtriggs
Well you know, Kira's dad, you keep skulking around houses in the middle of the night, you're gonna get the whole 'hands around the neck' thing...

Re: (10/30) Kira's dad

Coop
Administrator
Yeah, but at least he can make Toby feel bad about it, and he's not going to miss that opportunity.

By the way, it will probably never be mentioned in any of the strips, but Kira's dad is named Ralagan.  Kira's mom is named Lita.  The little village where they live is called Dunton's Hollow.  At one point I was tinkering with a C&K novel; that's when I came up with those names.

See the great information you can get by reading the forum?  The people who only read the strips ... well, their lives just aren't as rich.

Re: (10/30) Kira's dad

sethtriggs
Sounds nice and whimsical though I reckon!

11/20 - Meeting Daddy

sethtriggs
gg, Toby.

gg.

I'm really enjoying the art, I like the more recent sets of closeups too! Is it getting faster to draw nowadays, Coop?

Re: 11/20 - Meeting Daddy

Coop
Administrator
I guess it's getting easier to draw, but not faster, because I've gotten more picky about every little detail.  Moreover, it's getting harder to find time to do any drawing.  It's a struggle to get each week's strip ready for posting.  A familiar problem for webcomics, I suppose.  Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you like the art.  It's certainly gotten better over the years, though it's never going to be professional quality, because I don't have the time or the talent for that.  It's about as good as it's going to get.

Re: 11/20 - Meeting Daddy

sethtriggs
I dunno, you have some solid inking here. The fussing does help, though there are always tradeoffs you'll need. And ahhhh, time...if only there were more leisure time!

Re: 11/20 - Meeting Daddy

Coop
Administrator
I re-use artwork very regularly, which I'm sure is obvious.  And I realize that the true artists out there think that's heresy.  I read other webcomics, and awhile back on one of them my strip was mentioned in the forum, and the artist slammed me for doing a lot of cut-and-paste.  And yes, I do that, but I'm not sure why it's a bad thing.  As long as the characters are interesting and the jokes are funny and the finished artwork isn't totally hideous, who really cares if it was drawn from scratch or assembled via cut-and-paste?  I think the end result matters more than the process.  Anyway, it's a moot point because I seriously don't have time to draw every strip from scratch.  If I don't save a few hours here and there by re-using artwork, this strip won't exist at all.

Re: 11/20 - Meeting Daddy

sethtriggs
Yeah it really doesn't matter in my book. I know that people who get upset about that, similarly hate sprite comics (since they are also done using prefabricated components).

In the end, is it working to make your comic update on time and regularly? If so, then you continue doing that. I find that a lot of people that wish for comics to have 'pure' methods often spend a great deal of time wibbling on their own works.

I can certainly tell you've added new components and that's a good thing.

On topic of the comic, Kira's father is definitely not bright. Toby probably outweighs him by a factor of 3 and I wouldn't be surprised if Toby could outfight him too.

Re: 11/20 - Meeting Daddy

Coop
Administrator
You're right that Kira's father would be making a big mistake by fighting Toby.  But he hasn't actually said that he'd fight him.  He probably just wants to give him the old "treat my baby girl right" speech.  With some kind of "or else" at the end of it.  After all, the old fox DOES serve as the leader of a band of outlaws.  So he's got that to hold over his new son-in-law's head.  And he probably figures that Toby isn't going to clobber him; that wouldn't exactly endear him to his new wife, would it?

Re: 11/20 - Meeting Daddy

sethtriggs
This went wayyyyyyy better than I was expecting. Well he got out of that just fine!