Quantcast

Kira's mom

Choo Choo George
Well so much for that idea, of Kira's mom being happy and acceptable of Toby with the chest full of gold,  Kira's mom is a real bitch, does make Kira look sweet by comparison, though she is pretty, like the expression she has just before making that comment, look of disgust and unhappiness all rolled into one. I wonder if she would of liked it if Kira married a fox instead?  Wonder if we'll meet the farther and what's he like. Hope you had a happy new year.

Re: Kira's mom

Coop
Administrator
Well, let's not judge Kira's mom too quickly.  You know what they say about a mother-in-law; she's always convinced that no man is good enough for her daughter.  And yes, Kira's mom would have preferred to see Kira marry a fellow canine, so seeing her instead with this enormous lion is understandably a shock.  But maybe Toby will get her on good side in time.  Assuming that she has a good side, of course.  We'll see.

And a happy new year to you, George!

Re: Kira's mom

sethtriggs
Happy new year to you, Coop! And nice new header by the way.

Ahahahaha I definitely see the family resemblance with Kira too - the love of money!

Re: Kira's mom

Coop
Administrator
Happy new year, Seth.

Glad you like the new header.  I was trying to come up with something new and funny, and somehow the idea of describing Ulf's voice as a combination of The Terminator and Scooby-Doo struck me as hilarious.  Maybe I'm the only one, but I love it.

Re: Kira's mom

Glenn
That description of Ulf's voice is just TOO difficult for me to imagine, or fathom.  However, I always pictured Ulf's voice as more of a coherent mumble.  I found your comic relatively recently, around September of last year, and immediately fell in love with it.  That's rare because most comics just don't get my attention for several strips.  I look forward to every update just to see what's going on with these three.

Re: Kira's mom

Coop
Administrator
Thanks, Glenn!  Always great to have a new reader!

I posted the little joke about Ulf's voice because I thought it sounded hilarious ... in truth I can't quite imagine what a blend of The Terminator and Scooby-Doo would sound like either.  Keep in mind that this is Kira's description of Ulf's voice, and she is (of course) basically trying to make him seem ridiculous.  My take would be that, by invoking The Terminator, she's saying that Ulf has a deep, ominous voice, but that by adding in the part about Scooby-Doo, she's implying that Ulf's voice is also rather goofy and difficult to understand.  That's her opinion, and she's certainly not shy about expressing her opinion.  Toby would have a different opinion.

Re: Kira's mom

Glenn
Kira?  Shy?  How can you use both of those words in the same sentence.  But, you're right.  That is basically how I pictured Ulf's voice.  A bit deep and also not understandable.  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens between Kira and her mom.  They seem so much alike in so many ways and, yet, so different.  Typical parent child relationship.  LOL.

Re: Kira's mom

Coop
Administrator
The mother/daughter relationship being depicted here looks a little strained, but there's more to the relationship than you can see in just a few panels.  Remember that Kira has been away for years, and that she suddenly shows up announcing that she's just married this huge lion, and by the way he doesn't have any money.  Most fox mothers under the circumstances would be less than thrilled, especially since foxes are noted for their intelligence; they figure that all other animals are dull-witted by comparison, and since Toby is this big muscle-bound beast who has hardly said a word, it's pretty natural that Kira's mother has already written him off as a dullard.  That assessment might be altered somewhat as she gets to know him.

The comment I just made about foxes reminds me of something I read in one of my favorite strips, a newspaper daily called PHOEBE AND HER UNICORN.  If you haven't read it, I heartily recommend it.  The unicorn (named Marigold) is the key character.  She's pleasant and funny but like Kira she has a huge ego.  In one of the strips, Phoebe asks Marigold something along the lines of, "What makes you think other people are inferior?"  To which Marigold replies, "If they aren't me, I just kind of assume it."

Re: Kira's mom

Glenn
I've met one or two people in my life like Marigold.  LOL.