Kira and ... Tigress?

12

Kira and ... Tigress?

Coop
Administrator
I was watching one of the KUNG FU PANDA movies the other day, and I was struck by how much the character Tigress reminded me of Kira.  They're alike in a whole lot of ways:

They're both furries from predator races.  They're both attractive.  They're both intelligent.  They're both very competent in their chosen fields.  They're both very serious about their craft.  Neither one has much of a sense of humor.  Neither one has a high tolerance for silliness.  They both demand respect, and go ballistic if they don't get it.  They have sharp tongues and hot tempers, and can be extremely dangerous when riled, but if treated with respect, they can be quite pleasant.  They have both been forced to accept slovenly males as teammates, and in each case, they can just barely tolerate that teammate.  Really, it's amazing how similar they are.

What do you think, readers?  Does Tigress remind you of Kira?  Or am I off base here?

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

sethtriggs
Well...that actually makes a lot of sense!

Though I do think that Tigress isn't so...money-oriented as Kira...so that might give Kira the advantage as far as a narrative anyway!

Kira's advantaged in other areas too, I reckon. Probably has more traveling than Tigress.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

Coop
Administrator
Yeah, there are definitely some big differences between the two.  You pointed out the biggest one ... Kira is fixated on money, whereas Tigress never shows any interest in it.  There are other differences as well.  Kira's happily married; Tigress seems to love nothing except the art of kung-fu.  Kira's an egomaniac; Tigress is a humble disciple.

Perhaps the biggest difference is that Tigress gets to be a main character in big-budget movies, while Kira is stuck in a dumb webcomic.  Oh, the injustice!

But when it comes to their basic personalities, they seem VERY similar.  At least to me.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

sethtriggs
At least things are going better between Toby and Kira's dad.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

Coop
Administrator
Kira's magic fireballs have saved the day again.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

sethtriggs
Yknow, I really like Kira's mom's appearance. Her long hair is cute.

Glad this worked out though!

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

Coop
Administrator
As for Kira's mom's hair ...

It's difficult, in my opinion, to draw hair.  That's especially true when your entire palette is limited to black and white, as is the case in this strip.  Early on, I chose to draw Kira with short hair for the simple reason that I didn't think I could draw long hair well enough.

When it came time to design Kira's mom, I knew that I was going to use the same basic facial structure, because (a) they're closely related, thus their faces should look pretty similar, and (b) I can't draw that well --- I can only draw a fox character in one basic way --- so by default my second female fox character is going to look a lot like my first female fox character.  I needed some way to differentiate the two, however, so I chose to do Mom's eyes a bit differently, and I chose to do her hair VERY differently.  I looked around the Web, found an anime character with interesting-looking hair, and modeled Mom's hair after that.  I colored it solid black so I wouldn't have to deal with individual strands.

And that's how Mom's hair came to look the way it does.  I don't think it looks great, but it's okay, and it serves the purpose of keeping Mom from looking like Kira's clone.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

sethtriggs
That's really interesting. I thought it worked out fine.

And heh Kira's dad seems to feel so. Guess he's going to get a bit frisky himself.

The reactions in the third panel of the 12/25 comic were great by the way. And it's so hilariously ambiguous what they're freaked out about - the prior events, or Kira's dad being amorous.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

Coop
Administrator
Oh, it's definitely the fact that Kira's parents are going into the bedroom next door to make whoopee.  That's what is freaking them out.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

sethtriggs
Well they just did the same thing so LOL. Silly couple.

Also, Happy New Year, belatedly! Nice update on Sunday too.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

Coop
Administrator
I kinda feel like, in my latest strip (#813), I repeated the same joke that I used in #811.  Sorry about that.  But it was time for the characters to assemble for breakfast, and I had to make the point that Kira's dad had left; under those circumstances, I couldn't come up with anything funnier than for Mom to freak out Toby and Kira (again) by telling them that she and her husband had made love all night.  Oh well.

The next strip is going to be a lot funnier.  Trust me.  I can't wait to post it.  I think it's a good one.  But maybe that's just me.

Hey, it was cool seeing Ulf in THE WHITEBOARD'S Halloween comic, wasn't it?  I didn't even know that the guy who writes that strip reads C&K.  But at least I know that SOMEONE is reading it.  The C&K site gets well over 1,000 unique visitors a week, sometimes 3,000 or more.  Why some weeks get so much more action than others, I don't quite understand.  Anyway, it's too bad that few of them bother to drop by the Forum.  We could have some great discussions.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

sethtriggs
I have the same thing happen with my comic. I think it's because forums are more Web 1.0/2.0 and now everything's social media. But I lose control of the discussion when it is in the social media Web 3.0 style. For example, posts that would be in context on a forum rapidly lose that context when shared on social media, and that can lead to misunderstandings.

Still this is great fun and I am looking forward to see what's next.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

Coop
Administrator
Looks like Mom has grown tired of having houseguests.  The fact that they arrived bearing a nice gift (a sack of gold and silver) bought them about three weeks of goodwill, and apparently that was all.

I can sympathize to some extent.  She's accustomed to a quiet life by herself, and suddenly she had a lion in her house.  For about 4-5 months last year, due to some complicated circumstances, my family and I had to take care of a relative's dog, a Great Dane mix which was about as big as a lion.  Seriously.  He even kind of LOOKED like a lion --- same color, same way of stalking around the house, patrolling everything.  I believe he had a bigger appetite than most lions, though.  Anyway, he was a good dog for the most part, but I'll tell you what, when you can't even sit on the couch to watch TV because there's always some enormous beast sprawled over the entire thing, it gets old after a while.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

sethtriggs
Hahahaha I see, I see! Well that makes sense. I've seen some huge Great Danes too.

Definitely Toby would shed as much as one.

Well, back to the city they go! This was an amusing look at Kira's family; I see where she gets her spinning moral compass from!

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

Coop
Administrator
Too bad we didn't get to meet her sister, the exotic dancer.  If she looks anything like Kira, she probably makes a LOT of money in that profession.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

sethtriggs
LOL I didn't know that. Well, sounds like a bonus picture you should make, a family portrait.

Her mom is cute though I must say. Nice little parting line there.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

Coop
Administrator
Parting line is correct.  I don't believe we'll be seeing any more of Kira's mom.

I, for one, am glad of it.  I found her hard to draw.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

sethtriggs
I understand finding her hard to draw.

Well this convo with Kira and Toby is adorable. Can't wait to see what's next.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

Coop
Administrator
Oh yes, this is dangerous territory for Toby, discussing whether Kira is perfect.  He'd be better off if he got out of that carriage and took a stroll through a minefield.

Re: Kira and ... Tigress?

Sharnadale
 A little late, but I'm chiming in anyway. Two major differences in my opinion; Tigress actually grew to care deeply for Po, and Kira is a lot more manipulative,vindictive and self-centered. She is pleasant as long as she gets her way. Just my opinion.
 Still love the character btw. ;)
12